Friday, December 16, 2005

Update


It is a concensus.... this picture won!

It's 2:00 AM, Ohio time. yes, we are home. It feels so good to be home. Are we experiencing jet lab? Wow... you tell me! 2:00 am and Elizabeth and I are typing on the computer?!! Jacob has been asleep since 2:00 yesterday afeternoon. Everyone in the house was asleep by 7:00. My dear friend, Libby, did me the honors of posting that we are home. I cracked up at her comment on Elizabeth coming to Ohio, barefoot. Libby was right, she really is a true Miller!

We were greeted at the airport by our very dear friends, the Whites and the Everetts (Dottie - a forever friend who was also adopted from China) and our very special family - Mamaw and Papaw, Aunt Susan (we missed you Uncle Ed!), Uncle Paul, Uncle Alan and Lydia and Chloe. They stood their with balloons and banners. What a wonderful welcoming home!

When we pulled up, we found more dear friends, Alexa, the Condes, at the house bringing groceries and gifts. Then the Perry's stopped by and Sherri Penko came with more groceriers. What wonderful friends! My parents came over a little later to meet their littlest grandchild. It was wonderful.

Ok, I know there are lots of questions. I will try to answer some of the common ones I 've already been asked.

First, God was so faithful in EVERY aspect of this trip. I have never felt more secure and loved by God in my life. I learned more then I have ever imagined! The swords have been a big question... so, Yes! We were able to bring those things home. That was something Sam had spent much time with God about. We never had any issues with customs, though Mark had a very difficult time in Newark getting through the detector. Every pocket in his pants set of the buzzer. The kids and I couldn't help but laugh. Even his Halls menthal cough drops set it off! We had a 2 hour lay over in Newark, but by the time we went through customs and the detector, we had 5 minutes until boarding our plane!

Now, the plane rides. Many have asked about those. We had three to take. All three gave us problems during the descent; it was miserable. Despite anything I tried, I could not console her. Once the ears started popping, she was out of control, screaming, beating her head against me, sweat pouring down her little body. The 777 took over 40 minutes to descend. It was so very difficult! By the last plane, I was in tears with her begging for the plane to just land! The travel time from the time we got up in the morning and left the hotel to the time we got into Columbus, took 25 and a half hours. The long plane ride was ok. We had several movies and tv shows to occupy some of our time. THe 4 kids were incredible. They finished up homework and sat very patiently. They were amazing the entire trip!!! Elizabeth would sit some quietly, but the majority of time, she wanted walked and carried. Mark and I took turns walking down the aisles. I think the plane passangers knew us well by the end. She did not sleep but more then 2 hours or so the whole trip. I guess all the kids slept about the same. It was long, so touching ground in Columbus was wonderful! My suggestion for any adoptive familes - take as little carry on's as possible. They were a pain and we hardly used them at all. We lugged 6 huge bags through 7 airports and got into just one or two the entire time! And, if you buy alot at Shaimen Island, just make sure that you have another bag. Your weight limit goes from 44 to 60 pounds. per person, even if you have to fly to Hong Kong from Guangzhou.

The next question I get asked: how has Elizabeth adjusted and has she bonded to anyone?Yes, she definitely knows me and wants me around. But, as of yesterday, she will go to all the others without complaining. She is reaching alot for Daddy.

Question 4: How are her ears? I think 100% better. She finished the zithromax and seems to be a much happier baby. Her life has been turned upside down and she is going with the flow quite contently. The raspy chest sound is much better, though Sam now has bronchitis and I think I have something like that too. She is a great giver! I had to take Sam and Emily to the doctor Thursday. Elizabeth went to the adoption clinic at Chidlren's yesterday. By the time it was over, I was crying. She can not stand for anyone to mess with her. She pitched a fit from the get go when they tried to take her blood pressure. She is so very, very strong that they finally gave up. We saw a nutritionist whom was not concerned about her development at all. She weighs 17.8 pounds (finally - I know) and measured 27 inches long. ON the Chinese growth chart, she is at 5% in height (forget playing basketball!) and 20% in weight. They weren't concerned about her teeth, and thus I will no longer be concerned either.

After the nutritionist, we saw a physical thereapist. She was thrilled with our little girl's progress! It was quite exciting. She is on or above the mark on development! Yeah, praise God! She is above on social skills. The PT said that they noticed this with babies who are in orphanages because they have to learn skills on their own. We have noticed great improvement with her since we have had her. She is crawling more and loves to be standing up and trying to walk. She gets all excited and grins from ear to ear.

After that, we saw the Dr. and did bloodwork (that is when I cried). Her ear is still alittle red. He says that could be from the screaming. He decided not to load her up with more antibiotics (I am thrilled) and let it end it's own course. Her lungs sounded great.

So, that is the update on her health. When I find out the results of her bloodwork (5 viles), I will post it. Mark went with me to the appointment. I was so thankful to have him. He is the one who held her on the last 2 screaming bouts. I would never have been able to! She was mad, but she seems to have forgiven her Daddy.

How does she sleep? The first few nights, I had to finally just lay her in her crib and let her scream beacause I was just so exhausted. I think I had slept 2-3 hours since we woke up to fly home! I thought I would fall asleep standing up yesterday. I still feel pretty tired, but she at least let me sleep almost 6 hours. This cold she gave me is not fun. I found a blanket that I think she really likes, it seems that she will settle down when I give it to her in her bed. Yeah!

Does she go to anyone other then me or the rest in our family? No! She is very picky about that. In time, I imagine it will change, but right now, No. Please do not get your feelings hurt or think she does not like you. We are protecting her as much as possible and trying to let her slowing transition.

She has learned how to wave and how to do rasberries. She was terrified of our dogs (CHuck and Ty - golden retrievers). She loves to sip water out of a cup, but forget sippy cups. There is only one bottle that she likes to drink from, it is the one from the orphanage. I now have her able to use different bottles, but the nipple has to be the exact same nipple. I have gotten her to use a nipple that is the same, but not as big a hole in it. It is something I should have taken more seriously before I left.

Well, I know that there is much more to share, but my eyes are very heavy and I going to try to get her back to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We greatly appreciate you allowing us to get our "Elizabeth fix" on the last day of school! So many have been watching her life unfold online and it was wonderful to meet her in person. Get some rest, and enjoy the wondrous Christmas season with your precious gift!