






Someone was so kind to point out that this journal is something Elizabeth will probably read some day. It was shared that I am being somewhat sarcastic towards China and the people of China. That broke my heart. As I thought about the things I have written, I see their point and praise God for sharing it with me. Please forgive me for any light that was shed in such a way. The things that I shared, except for the medical exam, were done in sharing with you our ingnorance as foreigners, not to cut down the Chinese culture. The medical exam was mentioned in my frustration and exhaustion and fear for my little girls pain.
China is the country that God chose to bring her into this world. It is a beautiful country. There is so much here that I love. The cities are so intersting. The history and the tradition is fasinating. I could look at it for hours and listen to the history because it is so rich in heritage. Even the culture, which is so different from ours fascinates me... that is why I share it - because it is so different. It does not offend me. I am amazed at the culture. The stares and the touches were never offensive until I just got too tired to deal with it anymore. ANother mother and I were talking about the culture and the older women's desire to touch and correct us. We said there are 2 extremes. China in on the extreme of feeling a little too comfortable interfering with you and your child and USA is on the other extreme will too many don't interfere enough. The food amazed me too. I can't imagine ever eating the things that they eat. I don't find it disgusting that they eat it, just amazed how disgusted I am at my eating it. It blows me away. I wish that I ate what they eat for the waste in AMerica is incredible! The medicines and medical practices are so foreign to me. When it comes to my kids and their medical needs, I need comfort and trust!
The Chinese people have been so wonderful and many are very, very helpful. There are so many hard workers here. They are full of smiles and wonder. They seem to care about us. So many try hard to understand us, but just can't. The communication barrier is difficult. It is frustrating to not be able to tell someone what you need or to be able to express your thoughts or thanks appropriately. Shame on me if I ever gave the impression that they should understand me! I am in their country! It is me who is probably offending them by not being able to use their language.
I long for home because the USA is my home. I am homesick to have my little girl there where I am comfortable; surrounded by friends and loved ones whom I understand what they say. When she is sick and screaming in pain, I can have someone who I trust and understand look at her verses someone I do not know and certainly can not understand a word or their ways. I do not relish the thought of taking Elizabeth away from the only home she has ever known nor from the culture she was born into, but I liken it to when God adopted me into His family. From that point on, I was a new creature. I know that that part of my life is real and that it is in my past. God has given me a new future with Him. I ache for her that she will never know her birth parents, but I know that God's plan for her is to be with us and become who she is suppose to be.
AS for today:
We went to a beautiful temple. It was temple in which the rich people came to sacrifice to their ancestors. The carvings were amazing. That is what I love about China, the buildings that are full of heritage. INside, there were shops to buy art work. One man was painting using only his hand, no brush at all. It was incredible. The details that he was able to give were amazing. There was a garden that had statues through out it. I hope to have uploaded that one for you. We then went to a tea house. We were told about the clay teapots and then we all sat down at tables and watched someone make several different kinds of tea. They don't make it like we do, in a bag! They put the tea leaves in and mix it with the hot water. Then they strain the leaves. IT is very, very strong. THe Chinese people believe that it is very healthy for you. They do not drink coffee, we are told, only tea - wihtout sugar. They have morning tea and afternoon tea everyday.
We were also told about the one baby policy. There is not a problem with a lack of girls in the city, but in the country it is a big problem. Girls are unable to make a living and own the property in the country, boys are very valuable to carry on the family name and farming. So, girls are not wanted. Families can have more then one child, but the fee is 12,000 US dollars. The average family's income is $300 US dollars a month. Amy shared with us that 99% of all the family's have to have both mom and dad work in order to make enough to raise just the one child. We are so spoiled in our country. It really does break my heart. My heart aches for Elizabeth's parents. I ache for the pain they must be going through. I pray that God will heal their hearts and save their souls (if they do not know Him already).
2 comments:
Get Elizabeth's boots ready - they are calling for a chance of snow Wednesday evening! I hope you get a picture of her face at the sight of snow! Your pictures have been such a wonderful addition to your journal entries. We have been so able to feel your struggles and joys! Thanks for allowing us such an intimate look at your journey. Blessings for a great flight home!
Emily!! I am so happy for you and getting Elizabeth into your family! I am happy for the whole family but I am writing to you as a friend. Jake, I love the picture of you with the cup; it cracks me up to see it and seeing the whole family with Elizabeth is really exciting. I can't wait to see her in person.
Post a Comment