Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Great Wall Experience


This is Sam, Erin,and Jacob at the top of the Great Wall.


Uncle Ed... this one's for you!


Jacob loved this jade boat.

Hello to all. This journey only continues to be exciting. I want you to all know, as I have read comments, I think I might have given Mark a bad rep. I wrote about the negotiations because I absolutely love the memory of that guy following us! Mark really did do very well with most of the negotiating. It is hard for all of us to bargain anyone down. Our hearts are very torn because many of the people who are selling the items are very poor. The conditions of many of the homes are something we would never want to sleep in. Mark's tender heart doesn't feel right getting them down so low. It is hard. We know that we could go lower, but don't have the heart to. But, we have had much fun with joking about Mark and My ability to bargain.... we are the ones everyone laughs at. I think it is so funny. But, in the long run, we have gotten some really good deals, even on the hats!@ We found one hat for more then Mark paid for 4!

Just wanted my guys reputation to be ok. :) We went to an international church service. It was weird because we had to have our passports to go. It was a childrens Christmas production. I was all teary through it. We walked into a worship song that cause me to choke up instantly. I was shocked at my emotions. I guess tomorrow is getting to me. I read an email from one of you guys and I had to stop because I started choking up. Crazy!

Anyways, enough of all that. Too much emotions. We went to a jade factory today. It is a Chinese tradition that the mother wears a jade bracelet for her daughters first 18 years of life. When the daughter turns 18 years old, the mother passes it to her daughter. Then she, in turn passes it to her daughter. Mark told me on the way that he wanted something very nice for Elizabeth because the name Jia means beautiful jade (just found that one out!) We decided to purchase a bracelet for me to wear for her.

We then went to lunch and ate Chinese food. The kids did well. We went to the Friendship store and then to the Great Wall. My oh my is it big!! The mountains surrounding the area are fantastic to look at. The wall itself is amazing. I can't imagine how they built it buy hand! Mark, Erin, Sam and Jacob took off very quicky on their mission to reach the top. The weather?? Much, much colder then yesterday (yikes). It was FREEZING!!!! They made it to the very top level. I guess when they were at the top they were all alone (no one else was that brave). They yelled at the top of their lungs something about Mt Vernon people being so cool! They have a wonderful memory and accomplished quite a goal. It wiped Erin out though. SHe had sprinted some of it and I think the cold hurt her lungs. At one point she was struggling a little for air. She was hurting afterwards! It was soooo cold. The boys and Mark did great too. Jacob and Sam were troopers. Emily and I made it to the 2nd level. The cold air and the walk up her my lungs. I was having a hard time breathing and decided not to push it. Emily stayed with me, but eventually went to the third level to see if she could find the others. Did I mention how cold it was?

We went to a very fancy restaurant this evening. We ate peking duck...not at all what I imagined. The food really doesn't seem all that different from American Chinese. Some is, but I have yet to experience the "horror stories". Erin is struggling because she can't stand Chinese. Jacob is too. But Sam is loving the food and Emily is trying EVERYTHING! Needless to say, I am glad for the many power bars and nuts I brought.

Tomorrow we fly out for Chongqing. We should have her in our arms by the time you wake up. We leave at 6:00 (6:00 pm Sunday your time). We are very excited. Well, I need to pack up everything to go to the airport. The luggage leaves in one hour. Try packing this room up in one hour.... ha!

Love to all of you!
Darcy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey millers! I got your website from Olivia VanWinkle. I'm praying for you and me and my family keep thinking, "I wonder what the Millers are doing right now?" Hope you have fun and stay warm! It's pretty cold here, too. Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!!!!!!!!
Man, I feel like I am there with you. I am emotionally, that's for sure! Thank you again for the updates. God has not let you out of our minds and hearts here in Mount Vernon. We are all the time saying, "The Millers are probably doing... right now" :) (of course in constant prayer, too) A once in a lifetime experience is right. The joy on your faces tells us so much. Our family LOVES Chinese food - so eat some for us. You are continually being lifted to the Throne. My daughter says that Elizabeth is soooo blessed to be in your family!!! Wow, that says a lot Darcy. Can't wait to hear more. "For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous..." Psalm 5:12. We still "love you like crazy cakes"!:)

Anonymous said...

darcy she is just beautiful, she will be just fine once she gets all the love you all have to give her prayers for you all jannie milburn aka mamaw