
Ok, I am having quite a bit of trouble with getting connected to the internet. Unfortunately, every time I am trying, Mark is going to bed and can’t help me. So, I am sorry for the delay in writing.
We have had an exhausting day. I think I mentioned already that Jacob had gotten up at 11:00 in the evening and never went back to sleep. He tried, bless his heart, but he just couldn’t. Sam was up at 1:30 and the girls up by 4:00. Mark was the only one who slept through the night. So, the kids had been up for a very long time, long before it was time to start the day.
The breakfast was the most incredible buffet that I have ever seen! It was very, very good. Some of the food was strange… beans, noodles, congee, dragon fruit, pumpkin seeds… but in general, it was awesome. Then we headed for the bus to start our busy, busy day! We went to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City. They are right beside each other (I had no idea). It is amazing! But boy was it cold. The wind was so brisk. Sam froze! We were there for 3 hours. I will add pictures at the end of the journal. I am having to type this now and not enter it until I can figure out how to get on.
The Forbidden City is amazing. Did you know that it has 9,999 rooms? The emperor was the only one able to wear yellow and he had 3000 concubines! Ever three years he held a beauty thing (can’t remember what it was) that required all girls between the ages of 13 and 17. I can’t imagine allowing my girls to be taken in front of the emperor to one day possibly be his concubine! Anyways, we learned all kinds of little tidbits while we were there.
Sam felt very sick during this particular tour. We saw more than his little eyes wanted to. The desitude of some of the people is very sad. There was a young boy sitting on a scooter begging because he had no legs. Some woman came up to Mark with a man who had no face. There was a man with his hands twisted. There were so many sights like that, Sam just couldn’t handle it. It made him so deeply saddened. He has such a tender heart.
We have quickly learned how much of a target we are to purchase things. While in the Pearl factory, we were approached over and over by someone. They bargained and bargained with us. They wouldn’t leave me alone, even when I bought something. Then Mark went outside to take a walk (bored of the pearls and jewelry) and some man approached him about buying hats. Mark sent for me (like I could do anything!). We finally bought one (at a high price we soon found out!). Mark and I both went back into the factory. When the whole group came out, he headed for Mark and I (guess he knew we aren’t too good in the bartering method yet). Mark was ready to buy another one at a high price when our guide came and rescued him. She said a price that was 20 Juan lower then what Mark said. He took it. Then, we are on the bus and look out and there stands the man holding up hats right in Marks’ window. Mark had just gotten on the bus and we were all enjoying a good laugh about Mark’s comments on his skills when Jacob noticed this man. We all laughed so hard. The man would not give up. So, after we are all rolling in laughter, Jacob shuts the curtains. He is still there! The bus takes off for the silk factory. Jacob starts laughing because he thinks the guy is following us. Then he says he is scared. We tell him that he isn’t following us. The bus stops and we look out… sure enough, the man is standing outside our bus just waiting for us! We all died laughing! We bought 2 more a much lower price. But that wasn’t enough. The guy starts begging Mark for more. Mark looks at him and says to ask Jacob. I guess Jacob’s expression was hilarious! Eventually, the guy left. But man oh man did we learn a lesson!
The silk factory was very cool, but very pricy. It was neat to see them spin the silk from a cocoon. The dinners weren’t bad. I thought it was much like American Chinese food. We were able to eat just about everything. Jacob and Erin did not. So, I think it will be a long 2 weeks for meals for them!
Well, here are some pics. Enjoy them. If I don’t update, it is simply that I can not get online. Keep commenting… we love it!
A Day and a half until Elizabeth!
No comments:
Post a Comment