Sorry about the abrupt ending to my last post. My little girl lets me know what she wants, and it is not to sit down!!! That is the hardest thing right now. SHe is happy as long as I am walking or standing with her, but the minute I sit down.... look out! We finally had to make her cry herself to sleep. That is something I would like to wait until I get home to do. So much has happened to her in the past week, I just hate to make her feel alone again.
Ok, the Beiing story. We went to a market/dept store to buy some food for the hotel. That was crazy! The fresh meat I told you about on the street was nothing. This had isles of fresh (I do mean fresh) meat and people callng out things as we walked by. ANyways, we found Pringles! Yeah! Mark bought 2 cans of them and was so excited. They looked like salt and vinegar can. WE got home and one of the kids looked closer and it said spicy sea food. What!! 2 cans of spicy sea food pringles. Mark and Sam got brave (or desparate, I am not sure which) and tried them. Yuck.
The food that we have ordered has not been near the shock I was expecting. I am glad for that. Jacob and Sam do draw alot of attention. The young ladies love Jacob and come over and talk to him alot. He is not sure how to respong. Him and I were sitting down waiting for everyone else and 2 hostesses of a restuarant came over and started talking to him. He just looked at me not sure what to do. They were trying their English out on him. Then they walked away and kept gigglig and pointing at us. We definitely draw attentinon.
At first it didn't bother me, but now I am a little tired of older women coming and touch Elizabeth all over and getting in my face and pointing. At the park, Emily had Elizabeth and several women came over to her. I stood back and watched to see how she would do. ONe woman took her right out of Emily's hands and started walking away. Emily being sweet wasn't sure what to do, I came over and handed Em all that I was holding and went right next tothe woman. I knew that all she wanted to do was hold her, but I wasn't taking any chances. I let her and then I took her back and held her very closely to me.
At the same park, there was an older woman holding a year old boy (with split pants on). She came over and started talking with Elizabeth and the little boy. The boy kept patting Elizabeth who didn't mind until the boy started tugging on her jacket, then she got very fussy about it. Someone in my family took Elizabeth and that same woman came up to me and handed me her boy. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just took him and started talking to him. BEfore I knew it, she was walking away saying bye bye to the little boy. For a minute, I thought I would have a little boy to bring home too :)
The culture is so different here. It really does make you appreciate all that we have The kids are amazed at the prices of things (except for pop which is expensive if bought in a can). We can feed our family very well on just 20 or 30 dollars. Sam, I think, is the most impressed by everything. Emily and I are ready to come home, but Jacob loves it here and doesn't want to come home.
Yesterday, Ithink Erin, Mark, Jacob and I all had something from the food. Erin and I were very sick to our stomachs almost all day long. Jacob started out that way, but then ate a HUGE breakfast and was fine the rest of the day. Mark and I guess Sam felt ill at night. Ithink all are better today.
The hotel we are in in incredible. Elizabeth and I took a stroll this morning around 3:00 am. Whoever told Erin that 4 and 5 star hotels are like our 2 star hotels back home was wrong... at least for these 2 we have been in!
Well, I wll post pictures soon. I have to wait until I can let go of Elizabeth long enough to take some good pics of her. I am glad everyone loved the last one.
Tyler, Tanner, and Timmy - Yuan is the currency here. RMB is what they refer to alot, but I do not know what that means. I will try to find out. 1 US dollar equals about 8 Yuan. I will try to remember to get some rocks for you. Thanks for the help with the ears..if I can find the stuff around here, I will make it for her.
Uncle Ed - we will try to keep the stories coming!
We love you all,
Darcy
LEXI - thanks for the note!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Darcy,
I am so sorry to hear that Elizabeth has an ear infection and even more sorry to hear that the doctor recommended that you give all the doses of Zithromax all at once! As a pharmacist, I have to say that that was not a smart thing to recommend. Zithromycin is VERY harsh on the stomach, especially a child's stomach, and I am not surprised that she threw it back up. I have heard of warmed olive oil for ear infections. I also pray that she and you get some relief from her pain. Is there anyone else in your travel group that has Amoxicillian that would be willing to share? or someone that you may run in to in Guangzhou from another travel group? She would feel much better with in 2 days of starting the medication. My heart goes out to you and Elizabeth! I hope you get some rest.
P.S.- The picture of her in the pink winter outfit is adorable. She is an angel!
Take care
Kathy
Post a Comment