Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Meaning of Her Name(s)

Oh my! I just got an email from my daughter complaining that I have not mentioned Elizabeth's name. Well, probably because we haven't solidified it. What a process. Have you ever tried to name a child with 6 people's input? There is quite a discussion about her middle name, but I think I have finally decided on what it will be. Though Erin is very insistent that the Lee part be spelled Li, I have chosen Lee. Jacob and Emily are thrilled! They wanted Lee because of that was to be her first name long ago when we first decided on adoption.

So Why so many names for such a tiny girl?

Elizabeth (it won on the night of the presidential elections when we sat down and had a family vote. Lee (or Li) came in second... thus the reason for Elizabeth and Lee (or Li).

Qian Jiake - to keep a part of her heritage with her forever.

What do the names mean?

Elizabeth: consecrated to God
Qian: Where she is from
Jia - beautiful
Ke - a given name form the orphanage, we can not determine it's meaning
Lee - sheltered from the storm (thus, why I wanted to the name - I believe God has sheltered her from a "storm")
Li - beautiful

I was the one who was forced to determine the spelling. I chose Lee because of it's meaning and because 2 others felt VERY strongly and for very strong reason. Erin simply loves the spelling of Li (I do too!).

I allowed Erin to choose the spelling of Jiake.... whether it would be Jia-Ke or Jiake. She chose Jiake.

So, now you know why this little girl has such a mighty long name! Hey, if you haven't signed our guest book.... we LOVE hearing from you (we check it everyday!). Click on the link to the side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the name! Sorry Erin that you didnt get the spelling you wanted on the middle name but I have to agree with Darcy.. I really like the meaning of the Lee spelling! Well I love your site and once again have a safe and exciting trip!
Your Friend
Jeanie McCutchen