Saturday, February 17, 2007

Essay Winner!



What an honor it was when I picked up the phone Friday morning and was told that Jacob's essay was chosen as the DARE essay winner for his 5th grade class and found out later that day that his essay was chosen as the school winner and now he will be representing his school in the district!

His teacher called me to let me know so that I could be there for his award and hear him read it. I rushed like crazy to make it, rearranged some pick ups and flew into his building just in time. I coudn't find where the kids were and so I asked. I was quite relieved to hear that I was 20 minutes early. So I talked with a good friend, knowing I had 20 minutes. 15 minutes later, I headed to the cafeteria, only to discover that Jacob had already been awarded his honor and he had already read his speech. I was crushed. Here I was, in the building just talking and waiting, and missed a very priceless moment in my sons life. But, my little man understood and forgave me. He had been surprised with the honor and felt very good.

We are so proud of him. His essay was excellent. He was so excited because he had done it all by himself, with absolutely no help from either Mark or I. Great job, Jacob!

No comments: